Workers' compensation is available to anyone who has been injured on the job.
It doesn't matter whether you are currently working or whether you have been retired for a long time, as long as the job was the cause of your injury then you are entitled to workers' compensation benefits. Any injury caused by your work is potentially eligible for workers' compensation benefits, but you generally must file your claim within three years of being diagnosed with an injury or illness (an even shorter deadline may apply in some cases).
Workers' Compensation Benefits
Workers' compensation benefits are generally available for three types of injury:
- disability caused by the injury;
- permanent injury to a specific body part (e.g., 20% permanent disability of each lung); or
- scarring on the hands, face or neck, or scarring that interferes with a person's ability to do his job.
Workers' compensation benefits are calculated based on your more recent wage, even if that wage was from many years ago. If you have been retired for a long time, an adjustment is made to bring your old wages up to a current rate so they are a fair reflection of your loss.
Types Of Work Related Lung Injuries
There are a number of work related lung injuries that may qualify for workers' compensation benefits. Find out what they are.
If you have been diagnosed with one of the medical conditions listed below and believe that it was caused from working in a hazardous environment, you may be eligible to receive workers' compensation benefits.
Medical conditions that may qualify for workers' compensation:
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Parenchymal fibrosis
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Hard metal disease
- Mixed-dust pneumoconiosis
- Black lung
- Lung cancer
- Laryngeal cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Chemical-induced cancer
- Solvent neuropathy
- Occupational asthma
- Radiation-induced cancer
Individuals who worked in the trades or jobsites listed below may have been exposed to hazardous asbestos. If you are one of these individuals and have been diagnosed with a work related lung injury, like mesothelioma, you may be eligible to receive workers' compensation benefits.
Work environments in Connecticut where dust inhalation was likely:
- Power plants
- Chemical plants
- Machine shops
- Tool and die shops
- Forging operations
- Any wood-working operations
- Tire plants and rubber-working operations
- Glues, adhesives, epoxies
- Automotive and auto body
- Any metal-working operations
- Any grinding operations
- Steamfitters, boilermakers, carpenters, laborers, sheet metal workers, welders
Connecticut Workers' Compensation
We have provided legal representation for employees who were injured on the job while working for the following companies in Connecticut. If you were injured on the job while working in Connecticut you may also be eligible for workers' compensation benefits.
Companies/employers from which we have represented clients:
- Connecticut Light & Power
- United Illuminating
- Pratt & Whitney
- Electric Boat/General Dynamics
- Kaman Aerospace
- Carpenter Steel
- Anaconda Brass
- New Departure
- Yale University
- Uniroyal/Naugatuck Chemical
- Pervel Industries
- University of Connecticut
- Various trade unions
Our number one priority is getting you the compensation you deserve. We will do what it takes to handle your claim in a prompt, professional manner and secure the best possible outcome.
What to expect when initiating a workers' compensation claim with us:
- Prompt, professional, knowledgeable and courteous attorneys and staff will analyze your potential claim and advise you regarding your rights and whether you have a viable claim.
- If we think that we can help, we will handle your claim in a timely and professional matter and seek to obtain all benefits to which you may be entitled.
- We will keep you up to date on what is happening with your claim and on any significant activity that occurs.
- We will fight to get the best resolution of your claim and to maximize your compensation.
Request a Free Case Evaluation
Request a Free Evaluation now if you or someone you love has been diagnosed with mesothelioma. The evaluation will cost you nothing. Our lawyers will travel to visit you at your convenience or conference call with you over the phone. We understand how difficult a time this is for you and will assist in any way that we can. You can also call us toll-free at 1-800-336-0086 at any time.